Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Healthy Superfood (And Recipe) You Need To Try!

I can't think of a more perfect way to start the month of March than with picking a healthy food to try and incorporate more of into your diet. If you are looking to start the month healthy and strong, why not start cooking with Quinoa? Yep, that funky word (pronounced keen-wah) is my all time favorite go -to grain that I am sharing with you today!

"While no single food can supply all the essential life sustaining nutrients, quinoa comes as close as any other in the plant or animal kingdom."

Quinoa was sacred to the Incas, and referred to by them as chisaya mama, or the mother of all grains. Why exactly is it the "mother"? Well I'd have to guess that it's because Quinoa is easy to cook, has a high protein content, keeps you full longer, and is a healthy carbohydrate. What I love about Quinoa most though is that it is SO versatile

Salads can be boring and sometimes not filling but if you throw in a 1/2 cup of quinoa with some balsamic dressing it makes all the difference! How about with an omelet with spinach, onions and avocado? mhm delicious! Mexican or Chinese food or any other dish as a substitute for white rice? That works 100%. Even as a main ingredient for baking with to replace white flour? oh yes. Quinoa pairs really nice as a side dish to any protein too- grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, scallops, fish- you name it!


What I like to do is make a big batch of quinoa at the beginning of the week to store in the refrigerator that will stay fresh for 3-5 days. Then, for the rest of the week all I have to do is reheat up the quinoa in a pan and season it to fit whatever dish I'm making, or just throw it in a salad and I'm good to go! I simply boil 2 cups water and 1 cup quinoa and it takes about 15-20 minutes to cook just that first time. It is a really great base that you can throw into any dish for lunch of dinner that week to save time prepping meals.

I like to take either the mexican or asian root when I make my quinoa. Today I want to share with you all an example of a simple mexican quinoa recipe that I just whipped up off the top of my head last week that came out delicious. It took under 15 minutes to make and kept me full and from snacking later on in the evening (which I tend to do A LOT!)

Quinoa Bowl Recipe (for picture shown above)
Servings: roughly 2-3

1 cup dry quinoa 
vegetables of choice: I chose 1 red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, 1/4 white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 avocado, diced
2 teaspoons coconut oil or olive oil
a few pinches of salt

Directions:
1. cook quinoa ( follow directions on package.very simple- should be 2 cups water boiled with 1 cup dry quinoa)
2. dice all the vegetables
3. melt oil in stir fry pan
4. add garlic to oil for 2-3 minutes
5. add vegetables into pan with oil, reduce heat and cook vegetables for a few minutes
7. mix in drained black beans, cooked quinoa and salt and heat for a few minutes
8. place in dish and top with sliced avocado. store leftovers in fridge for the week!
9. Option to:
       make asian: top with soy sauce &cook in sesame oil
       make mexican: top with a hot sauce of choice

P.S
If you want a simple and pre made/ pre seasoned quinoa I recommend the Seeds of Change packets at Costco, Whole Foods or in some super markets. Just heat up the packet on the stove and eat it with whatever protein you like: grilled chicken, tofu, shrimp, fish, scallops. It's quick and easy for if you don't have the time or energy one night to cook a meal but are trying to stay healthy!


I hope you give this grain a try and maybe even implement it into some of your special family recipes for a little healthy twist! Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment