Sunday, November 17, 2013

5 Superfoods You Should Have in Your Kitchen

The first time I heard the term "superfood" the image that popped into my mind was a banana wearing a cape (please tell me I'm not alone on this). Some people think I am a very literal person, and I guess you could say this proves their point...(alright dad, you win.) Although the idea of grocery stores selling foods with capes on them sounds riveting, I sadly don't think that is going to happen any time soon! But, if its any consolation, super foods actually do exist! They are in fact a class of the most potent, super-concentrated, and nutrient-rich foods on the planet! 




Viewed as both a food and a medicine, superfoods are the optimum choice for improving overall health, boosting the immune system, elevating serotonin production, enhancing sexuality, and cleansing and alkalizing the body. By definition, they are calorie sparse and nutrient dense, which also make them optimum for aiding in weight loss. Because super foods are natural, they make life a lot easier in trying to achieve your ideal weight, diet and food habits without having to take pills or vitamin and mineral supplements. Super foods are superior sources of anti-oxidants and essential nutrients (nutrients we cannot make ourselves), which is why they are truly "superheroes" in my book!

There are many super foods out there that can easily be incorporated into your diet but for today I want to share with you just a few of my personal favorites!


My Top 5 Favorite Superfoods

  • Spirulina
    • What is it? Spirulina is a dark blue-green type of algae that is grown in water. For hundreds of years it was used by the Aztecs as a primary food source because of it's high nutritional content. The list of health benefits that spirulina provides is endless: antioxidant, anti inflammatory properties, boosts immune function, protects the liver, reduces allergic reactions, muscle endurance and oxidative stress, reduces oral cancer. Spirluina is also known for its extremely high protein content. Per 100g, Spirulina has 57g of protein whereas chicken or eggs have less than only 17g!! (for all you vegetarian and vegans out there this is a great statistic to throw out at anyone who tries to argue you can't get adequate protein without eating meat!!)
    • How I like to use it: On an empty stomach in the morning I like to mix a tsp of Spirulina powder in a glass of water. I really feel this is the best way to optimize absorption! I will also add it to my green smoothies or mix it in with coconut water after a yoga session or workout.
    • Fun fact: Have a glass of water or toothbrush near by to rinse your mouth out before you go out in public! (unless you are trying to make a statement with your avatar/hulk color mouth!)
  • Chia Seeds
    • What is it? Chia seeds contain calcium, manganese, and phosphorus, and are a great source of healthy omega-3 fats and fiber. Chia is especially beneficial for diabetics because of its ability to slow down digestion, which can prevent blood sugar spikes. What is amazing about chia seeds are that the fiber in these seeds allows them to absorb the liquid it is submerged in. It then creates a gel like/pudding consistency so when it travels through your body it helps clean out your digestive system and get rid of toxins, waste, cholesterol, ect that don't belong.
    • How I like to use it: soak them in almond milk over night to make a chia pudding, add to smoothies, top oatmeal, yogurt, fresh sliced fruit.
    • Fun fact: Whole Foods sells a "Chia- Pod Pudding" that I am currently obsessed with! (banana flavor is my favorite!) 
  • Coconut Oil
    • What is it? Coconut oil's saturated fat is of the medium-chain fatty acid variety, which are digested more easily and utilized differently by the body than other saturated fats (such as butter, meat and eggs). Whereas other saturated fats are stored in the body's cells, the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are sent directly to the liver where they are immediately converted into energy. Coconut oil will actually speed up metabolism so your body will burn more calories in a day which will contribute to weight loss. Coconut oil helps to stabilize blood sugar, is great for hydration, and reverses the tissue-damagind process 
    • How I like to use it: I love to use coconut oil when baking, but my favorite way to use it is as a skin moisturizer! Every night before bed I rub the oil on my face and I wake up with my face feeling even smoother than a babies bottom!
    • Fun fact: I'm not even slightly embarrassed that I just compared my face to a baby's butt.
  • Goji Berries
    • What is it? Goji berries have a long history of use in traditional Chinese medicine. They are the most nutritionally rich berry-fruit on the planet: complete protein source, contain 21 trace minerals, all 8 essential amino acids, improve eyesight and blood quality,provide liver protection, boosts immune function. Research has even shown eating goji berries can help in treatment with cancer patients.
    • How I like to use it: I like to include it in my mid morning or afternoon snacks or as a topping on salads. Sometimes I will put peanut butter on brown rice cakes and top them with goji berries or add them to a home made trail mix!
    • Fun fact: Goji berries have a mild tangy taste that is slightly sweet and sour. They remind me a lot of raisins, with the same texture and shape except prettier in color!
  • Cacao
    • What is it? Chocolate consists of just one ingredient- cacao. Commercial chocolates often have added sugars, dairy and chemicals but the true nutrients lie in chocolate in its raw form! Cacao beans contain possibly the world's most concentrated source of antioxidants, are extremely high in magnesium and for those concerned with not getting enough iron, cacao contains 314 percent of the U.S recommended daily intake per 1 ounce serving.
    • How I like to use it: With anything and everything! Chocolate makes everything better! (raw cacao power and cacao nibs are always in my cabinets!) 
    • Fun fact: Cacao is rich in the tryptamine serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that helps build up our stress defense shields. When serotonin levels are high, you will be happy and feel great about life! So using deductive reasoning, I say bring on the chocolate!!!
Superfoods have no hidden agenda, no side effects, no chemical additives. They are truly super in their original form, and it amazes me how I went the majority of my life not knowing about them! Imagine if every Fast food place was replaced by Super food restaurants? And Doctor's would prescribe people to eat at them for healing their illness? Talk about my kind of world! Whose with me?! (p.s if anyone actually wants to open a chain of restaurants like this please feel free to take this idea and run with it!!!! I just want the world to be healthier!)

 In the words of Hippocrates, "let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food".  That Hippo really knew what he was talking about! What a wise man!


I shared my favorite super foods with you now its your turn! What are your favorite super foods?

2 comments:

  1. chia seeds and kale are definitely my two go-to's! Lovin' your blog Laur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try whole foods chia pods then! They unfortunately do not make a kale flavor (hahaha) but they're super delish! and thanks rach I'm so glad!!!

      Delete