Thursday, June 5, 2014

Healthy Recipes For Your Next Family BBQ

Normal BBQ's or family gatherings usually look a little something like this: pizza, pasta, sausage and peppers, hamburgers, hotdogs, ribs, steak, heroes… you get the picture- not exactly lettucebehealthyandhappy friendly! This is why for the most part I am that boring girl with a plate in her hand that is filled with a salad…every.time. Don't get me wrong, I love salad! But I also like an exciting meal just as much as the next person. This is why I love cooking up some healthy options for BBQ's at my house and to bring to other people's houses as well!

In the beginning of transitioning into a healthier diet over the last couple of summers, when we had parties at my house I used to have my dad cook me my own small dish of something healthy (grilled vegetables, shrimp and vegetable shish kabob, grilled tuna, my own serving of whole wheat pizza or pasta, ect.) while everyone else ate the traditional BBQ food that was at the party. I never minded, but I always felt almost a little left out of the fun (if that makes sense). And not to mention tempted by all the heavenly smelling food. After all, there is a big social element to eating and I wanted to be a part of what everyone else was having!(do you blame me?!)

From time to time, I'd get some strange looks and people would ask me "what is that on your dish? Can I try some?". And secretly I would get so excited and do a little internal happy dance because even if it was just one person, I was leading by example and showing that YES HEALTHY FOOD CAN TASTE GOOD! It's not all carrot sticks and celery people!

This past weekend my family had invited over some family friends for a mini BBQ and for the first time, me and my mom put together a bunch of healthy dishes (not only for me to eat) but to put out as the main dishes for everyone else as well! And what do you know…everyone not only ate them, but loved them too (and even asked for the recipe for my quinoa salad..boom chicka yeah yeah!)


All we've ever known is hamburgers, hotdogs, and steak so that is our go to BBQ meals. But what if we slowly started learning how to incorporate healthier dishes into our BBQ party summer spreads? Then everyone can have healthy options they can enjoy guilt free and without feeling like they need to eat the hamburgers and hotdogs to feel satisfied. If you are hosting an upcoming BBQ at your house or going to a party, try making one of these dishes so you know you will have a healthy option and don't have to settle for a salad or unhealthy meal. Vegetetarian and healthy does not mean boring! Try these recipes I had at my BBQ and you'll see :)




Here's what was on the menu!

Greek Salad:

Ingredients are simple- Large tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, block of feta cheese, greek kalamata  olives 

Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized chunks, removing the core. Salt lightly. Peel and slice the cucumber into 1/4- inch slices, cutting slices in half. Salt lightly. Slice the onion into thin rings.

Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and olives in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano, pour olive oil over the salad, and toss. Just before serving, place feta in the salad as cubed chunks or crumbles.




Whole Wheat Pesto & Basil dish:

 Ingredients: 100% whole wheat or whole grain penne pasta, pesto, grape tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, olive oil, basil

Mix cooked whole wheat penne with a pre made or homemade pesto sauce. Cut grape tomatoes into halves and cut mozzarella into large chunks. Mix tomato and mozerella into pasta. Top with olive oil and basil leaves. Serve cold.




Quinoa Salad:

Ingredients: 
1 cup Red Quinoa
1 15-ounce of black beans, drained
2 cups roasted corn kernels
1 avocado, cut into inch pieces
1 cup red onion, finely diced
zest of one lime
sea salt and pepper
white wine vinegar and olive oil

Bring 2 cups of water and quinoa to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes, until water is absorbed. Strain the remaining water from the quinoa. Return quinoa to pot, cover and let sit for 15 minutes (this is when it will become fluffy)

Combine beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes, and onion. Top with white wine vinegar and toss gently. Add salt, pepper and lime zest to taste. Set aside to cool.

When ready to serve, add bean and corn mixture to quinoa. Serve hot or cold.




Grilled Pesto Asparagus:

Ingredients: 1 bunch of asparagus spears ( touch ends trimmed), olive oil, lemon, 3 tablespoons pesto, optional parmesan cheese

Place asparagus and pesto in a ziplock baggie, press out air and seal shut. Massage pesto onto asparagus until it is fully coated. Remove from bag and either roast in oven or on grill.

Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Squeeze a little lemon over asparagus. Top with optional sprinkle of cheese. Serve immediately.


Question of the Day: Do you find it hard to eat healthy at summer BBQ's? What are your favorite healthy meals to cook during the summer?

2 comments:

  1. Delicious, this inspired my dinner for tonight and have pinned! Have a lovely weekend.

    (Insta @yogamamazee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum!! Wish I was at your house tonight :)!

      Have a great weekend zaz!

      Delete