Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Healthy Breakfast Recipe: Mini Egg Fritattas

Lately I have been on a major egg kick. I'll admit, for a while I was the occasional "egg white only" kind of girl, but those days are clearly long gone! I think maybe it has to do with the fact that the eggs in Europe are so fresh and tasty? Or that they are incredibly healthy and a great source of protein? Could be a combination of both!

Anyways, omelets or hard boiled eggs for breakfast, lunch or dinner have been what's happening in this girl's happy and healthy kitchen for the last couple of months. However, for this morning's breakfast I decided to switch things up a bit and try out a new recipe! The recipe is from one of my favorite food activists, Vani Hari, who calls herself the Food Babe (definitely check her out if you haven't already!) Vani has been seen fighting the food industry on CNN, NBC News, The Dr. Oz Show, ABC News, Good Morning America, and a bunch more. Trust me, this girl's got her credentials.

The recipe of Vani's that I tried was for Mini Fritattas. (Does anyone else love saying the word fritatta?!) These fritattas made for a perfect breakfast in my book: nutritious, incorporated vegetables, easy and quick to make, convenient and helped keep me full all morning!


…and of course it wouldn't be breakfast without having a green smoothie on the side! YUM.

The recipe is one of those things where if you don't have one of the ingredients on hand, you can easily omit or substitute it and they'll still turn out great! (unless it's the eggs that you don't have. then that will be a problem…:) ) Side note: the spices in this recipe really make all the flavors come to life!

Another thing I love about this recipe is that it uses the WHOLE EGG! YEP, YOLK & ALL! The poor egg yolk get's such a bad reputation for "causing high cholesterol" but it turns out that it really provides essential heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids and beneficial vitamins and minerals for our bodies. In a study at the University of Connecticut, researchers found that the fat in egg yolks actually helps reduce LDL( the bad cholesterol). So don't fear the yolk and eat up!



Mini Egg Fritatta Recipe

Ingredients
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 1 large red pepper diced
  • 1/2 small red onion diced
  • 1 to 2 ounces of goat cheese (optional)
  • 3 sun dried tomatoes diced
  • 3 tbsp minced fresh basil
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • fresh cracked black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp coconut oil (to coat muffin tin or baking cups)



Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375

2.Combine all ingredients in large bowl


3.Pour mixture into coconut oil greased muffin pan

4.Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden on top

5.Let rest for at least 5 minutes and serve



I ate two of these today and am saving two for tomorrow morning! I want to have a brunch party just so I can make these for everyone!! They would be a hit! Hope you enjoy, let me know how you like them! I'll pass the word onto Vani ;) xo

No comments:

Post a Comment