Friday, April 11, 2014

Fresh Lemony Chickpea & Arugula Salad

It's no secret that a lot of the time our busy schedules is what's holding us back from eating healthy. For me, between teaching classes, school, running errands, ect. I am often that girl running around like a chicken with my head cut off (I know I'm a vegetarian, bad joke.) This is why I am a huge fan of THE MEAL PREP! At the beginning of the week I love to make food in batches to store in the fridge. This way, when I'm in a rush most of the work is already done and eating healthy is made easy because all I have to do is grab and go! Now that's what I call fast food.



This week the weather is really starting to get springy! This morning I sipped on my spring cleaning green smoothie cleanser and then for lunch I enjoyed a salad that I prepped earlier on in the week! Took me about 5 minutes to prepare it, and under 5 to eat it (since it was so good..)

The chickpea salad recipe will give you about 3-4 meals throughout the week and you can eat it as a side dish or add a portion of it to a bed of arugula to make a full salad your meal.


Fresh Lemony Chickpea & Arugula Salad

Ingredients

16 oz of chickpeas
1/2 cut up red bell pepper
1/4-1/2 chopped red onion
1 cut up tomato/ or 1/2 cup baby cherry tomatoes quartered
basil
pinch of sea salt
arugula
1/2 squeezed fresh lemon
1/4 avocado

for sweetness: 1/4 cup of raisins,dried figs, or dates

Directions

1. Combine chickpeas, bell pepper, tomato, onion, basil, & salt and store in fridge for when you want to use it.

2. When you are ready to eat, simply fill a bowl with arugula, squeeze lemon juice over it and add in as much of the chickpea salad as you'd like!
3. Mix salad together and top with avocado (if you add it when you are not ready to eat it immediately it will turn brown) and optional raisins, dried figs or dates if you'd like!




Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment