Monday, April 28, 2014

Recap of This Girl's Healthy & Happy Life Lately

Happy Monday, everyone! Instead of a recipe or a direct health post today let's try out something different here. What do you say? I was thinking a little recap of my healthy and happy life over the past few days..plus a few pictures along the way! Oh yes, it's time to get personal.

La Familia comes to visit!

Ever since I left New York and moved to Italy in January, I had been counting down the days until my family came to visit. Last week the day FINALLY arrived and I flew to Barcelona to be reunited with them!!! We spent four days there sightseeing and exploring the city together. I have traveled to so many amazing cities and countries over the past couple of months but I have to say… Barcelona was absolutely beautiful.




After a few days in Barcelona, we all headed to Florence so that I could show them around my city! I definitely tired them out with all the walking I made them do! I loved being in all the touristy churches and shopping areas with them, but I have to say my favorite moments were when we just sat in cafes or restaurants for hours getting lost in conversation, laughing and enjoying being with each other. If I've learned one lesson in life it is that happiness comes not from material things, but from doing what your soul loves, and being surrounded by the people who love your soul.



This is me and my family walking through my favorite part of Florence… the gardens! Can you tell how much I miss green grass and nature …..:)?

Juice, Juice & more Juice!

In other news… FOOOD TALK TIME! While my family was here they really tired out my digestive system with wayyy too many italian goodies. Every time I "go off" the same thing happens: headaches,  skin breaks out, stomach issues, ya know THE WORKS. Sooo needless to say, when my family left I was sad but also so happy to get back on a healthy track!

After my parents left I pretty much drank and ate raw vegetables and fruits for 3 days straight. When we tax our bodies with high amounts of gluten, dairy, & processed sugar, raw foods are great for your digestion and help rebalance the body. Cooking foods destroys much of the natural enzymes that are used to break down nutrients. Plus, eating raw foods definitely gives me more mental clarity, insane amount of energy in the morning and better sleep at night! 
     
My yummy green juice with spinach, celery, apple, cucumber, & ginger!



Banana & Almond Butter Post Workout:


Before my family came to Europe I asked my mom to go on a Trader Joes/ Whole foods run for me where she could pick up a few of my favorite foods to keep me stocked up until I come home at the end of May. This morning I reunited my taste buds with heaven. AKA sprouted Eizekel bread with gooey almond butter, sliced bananas and topped with chia seeds…. to die for. 


I like the sprouted cinnamon raisin Eizekel bread even better but hey, I had to leave some room in my suitcase for clothes...


Devoured this in the morning for the second half of my breakfast after my morning yoga and workout!



Yoga & Outdoor Workouts

     The past week in Florence has been beautiful and I couldn't let this green grass in the gardens go to waste! Took some "me time" to do what makes my body and soul happy: Fresh air, a light run, & some yoga play time at its finest!


Namaste!


Question of the Day:

"Healthy" isn't just about what you eat or how much you exercise. It's a balance between body, mind and soul. Do you take time to do what makes your soul happy? To do what you really love?

2 comments:

  1. Great food, great cities and a great family! I will try your yummy green juice sometimes. I really agree "HEALTHY" isn't just about what you eat or what you do.. it's about every little things that makes your body and soul happy.

    Another fantastic post Lauren! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David!

    So glad to hear your feed back, thank you! And yes, you're spot on- balance is the key! Couldn't agree more. Let me know if you'd like an exact juice recipe or anything else i can help with! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete